The Shadervan in Prizren


The Shadervan is a tourist area on the south side of the city, there are numerous cafes and restaurants there. The ancient water fountain is a protected cultural monument, there is a legend that if you drink water from the water fountain you will be sure to come back.

Gazi Mehmet Pasha's Mosque


Gazi Mehmed Pasha's Hammam is located in the city center of Prizren near the Kukli-Mehmed Bey Mosque and Emin Pasha Mosque. It was built in 1563-74 by Gazi Mehmet Pasha, Sandzakbej of Shkodra in 1573-4. At the main gate is the inscription plate (1833) which indicates the date of the hammam's restoration by the brothers Tahir and Mehmed Pasha Rrotulli. The hammam is part of the architectural ensemble founded by Gazi Mehmet Pasha, which contains the Bayraklia Mosque, the secondary school (madrasa), the elementary school (mejtep), the library and the mausoleum (mausoleum). The hammam is a type of "hammam pairs" that is used by both sexes at the same time. It is built of different stones. The portion of the hammam for men is slightly larger than the rest for women. The hammam has all the space that the hammam has, so it consists of the entrance (waiting and for drinks), the wardrobe, the central part where washing, sweating, amusement and the boiler room located in the south of the object. The hammam is made of different stone in combination with brick. The walls are about 90 cm thick, plastered from the inside. The roof of the building has two domes built on the drum, in the cold section (reception) and nine small domes that are above the warm part of Hamam. The wardrobe and boiler part are covered with arches. The cover is tiled in the cold part, while the lead tiles in the other parts. Until 1964, Hammam was surrounded by localities, with the demolition of the premises and restoration work being started. Even in the 1970s. XX make some renovations where it is then left at the mercy of time. Since 2000 the cold part of the Hamam has been used as a gallery for organizing various cultural, artistic and educational activities. The Hammam represents one of the most characteristic Ottoman-era public buildings in Prizren, of exceptional historical, architectural, social and environmental importance.

Ulpiana Archaeological Park


Ulpiana is a cultural heritage monument in Gracanica, Kosovo, a Roman city founded at the beginning of the II century by Emperor Trajan. Archaeological excavations have given traces of pre-Roman life, and Ulpiana is an Illyrian city. Ulpiana was an important place for the Dardanian Kingdom. The town was located near the current Lipjan town in Kosovo.

Albanian League of Prizren


On June 10, 1878 the Prizren Assembly was convened, which announced the formation of the Prizren League. The works of this assembly were led by Iljaz Pasha Dibra, while the political program was drafted by the ideologues of the Albanian nation such as Sami Frashëri, Pashko Vasa, Abdyl Frashëri, Jani Vreto, Zija Prishtina and others. The Prizren League is the first political and military organization of the entire Albanian nation. The Prizren League had to solve three major tasks that were of concern to all Albanians. First, to oppose the segregation of ethnic Albanian lands inhabited by the Treaty of St Stephen and the Congress of Berlin in 1878. Second, to unite the Albanian territories into a single vilayet within the Ottoman Empire. Third, to testify throughout European public opinion that Albanians were a separate nation in the Balkans despite religious differences. The highest body of the Prizren League was the General Council, which carried out legislative functions. This body created a National Committee which took on the attributes of an interim government. The National Committee was composed of three committees: Abdyl Frashëri was assigned to Foreign Affairs, Shaban Prizren was assigned to Internal Affairs, and Sulejman Vokshi to Finance. The National Committee set up provincial subcommittees in the three main Albanian vilayets that were in danger of falling apart. The Prizren League subcommittee on the Ioannina vilayet and senior Ottoman state official Abedin Pasha Dino, with deft diplomatic actions, prevented Greece from annexing the province of Chameria. The Shkodra subcommittee organized Albanian volunteer troops under the leadership of Ali Pasha Gucia and Hodo beg Sokoli, who caused heavy losses to Montenegrin forces led by Mark Milan. Albanians managed to protect Plava, Gucia, Hoti and Gruda with blood. Rejoicing over the achievements, the Albanians expressed their determination not to leave the city of Ulcinj. Under pressure from the International Fleet of Great Powers and surrounded by Ottoman and Montenegrin troops, Ottoman Commander Dervish Pasha finally broke the Albanian resistance and on November 26, 1880, Ulcinj surrendered to Montenegrin forces. The Albanian resistance against the High Gate continued afterwards. In May 1881 after a number of arrests of its leaders and persecution of the Albanian population, the League of Prizren, was crushed by the High Gate.

Imperial Mosque


This mosque was built in 1460-1461 by Sultan Mehmet II al-Fatih (as evidenced by the carving of the wall over the main mosque door), just eight years after the fall of Constantinople. Located in the heart of the old city center, it is Pristina's largest and most prominent mosque. Its dome was once the largest in the region, and today it is the only mosque built by Sultan Mehmet II that still survives in these areas. The square in front of the King's Mosque has always been a popular meeting place. During the years 1682-83, under the rule of Sultan Mehmet IV, the mosque was restored, and its minaret was repaired again after the 1955 earthquake. Since 1953 this mosque is called: The Mosque of Sultan Mehmet II al-Fatih.

Old stone bridge in Prizren


Through Prizren crosses the Lumbardhi River, which divides the city into two equal parts. Over the Lumbardhi of Prizren, in the course of history, many bridges were erected but undoubtedly the most special that became a symbol of the city is the Stone Bridge. The Stone Bridge is located in the center of the Old Town. On the east side there is the bridge of "Arasta", on the west side is the bridge of "Naleti". The bridge connects directly to Shatravan Square (on the left side of the river) and Saracana (to the right of the river). Historical sources do not provide data on the exact time of its construction. On the basis of material, style, construction technique, it is assumed that the bridge was built towards the end of the XV century, or at the beginning of the XVI century. The old bridge is constructed of quality stones processed and bound together with limestone. The old bridge was tri-square, the middle arch was larger, and the lateral arches smaller. The length of the former bridge was approximately 30m, while the current bridge is 17m. The length of the large arch is 10m, the height 5m. Side arches 4m long, 3m high. The bridge also has a small auxiliary bow 103cm long and 160cm high. The track width is 4.20m and is paved with cobblestones. The bridge has a 40cm fence that follows its leveling and served only for pedestrians. In the course of history, the bridge has undergone some major changes. It suffered serious structural damage during the construction of the Lumbardhi bed in the 1960s. On this occasion, its arch, completely to the left of the river, completely closes. However, the right-hand side of the bridge was damaged when the road was built on the right-hand side of the river in 1963. The greatest risk was due to natural factors. The flood of the river on 17/18 November 1979 caused the bridge to be completely destroyed. The Prizrenians eager to destroy the bridge were mobilized, and according to the project designed by M. Gojkovic, ing., On June 5, 1982, work on its reconstruction began. Restoration works were carried out by the Enterprise "Elan", under the supervision of the Cultural Monuments Protection Office of Prizren. The solemnly rebuilt bridge was inaugurated on November 17, 1982. Thus the bridge naturally comes into its own and continues to function as a pedestrian bridge. Taking into consideration the genuine values ​​of the heritage, the Stone Bridge by decision no. 2345 dated December 31, 1948 is placed under state protection.

We use cookies on this site to enhance your user experience. By clicking any link on this page you are giving your consent for us to set cookies