Area: 204.25 km2
Population: 9,670 residents
Kodi Postal: 16000
Artana is an archaeological site. Artana was mentioned by his current name in historical documents as early as 1326. He was previously known as Novus Mons or Novamonte in Latin and as Nyeuberghe in Saxon texts. The famous Bulgarian writer Vladislav Grammarian was born here.
Novo Brdo was a metropolis at the time, with a large medieval fortress built on top of a missing volcanic cone, the remains of which can be visited today, and residential sections spreading throughout. On the outer wall of the fort there appeared a large cross, built within the stones. The castle, or castle, was thought to have been dated at some point since the time of the Serbian Empire. The population at its height was estimated to exceed 6,720 people. In the first half of the 15th century, the Serbian Orthodox bishops of Lipjan lived in Novo Brdo. There were mines and smelting furnaces for iron, lead, gold and silver ores. Silver Novo Brdo is known for its glam silver (argentum de glama, a silver alloy with 1 / 6-1 / 3 gold). In 1450 the mines in Artana produced about 6,000 kg of silver per year.
By the beginning of the 20th century, the population of Novo Brdo declined, with most residents moving to the more easily accessible area of ??Gjilan / Gnjilane. In 1999, with the entry into Kosovo of KFOR and the United Nations Interim Administration Mission in Kosovo (UNMIK), the area had a small military post occupied by US soldiers, as well as an International Police and Police Station. of Kosovo